The Daily Huddle (Shift Starters) – The most important 10 minutes in any company https://youtu.be/sGQu-Sc6b9I
This is our 3rd article on merchandising. We have created this series to provide dispensaries with insights to help to set your dispensary apart from the competition. Retail is detail, and selling is the key.
Shift starters create team-building, a sense of alignment, and accountability with everyone. No one feels left out since everyone on the team is up to date and well informed. Motivating your team to continue reaching success is key to growth and staff retention.
Why have shift starters:
- Energy- begin the day on a positive note.
- Informed- share the knowledge needed, stay informed about what’s going on.
- Hurdles understand the challenges that need resolution.
- Culture- creates a feeling of unity and oneness.
There is not a company that would even think to operate successfully without shift starters or daily huddles.
Does your dispensary have shift starters?
Shift starters should take no more than 15 minutes.
If you have more than one shift, do it at the beginning of every shift
Concerns staff may have regarding huddles or shift change meetings:
- The meeting will take too long.
- Now another thing I need to get done for today.
- I don’t have time, or I can’t find the time.
“It’s not the strength of the individual players, but it is the strength of the unit and how they all function together. “Bill Belichick, head coach New England Patriots.”
By the way, I am a Giants fan. The Giants beat the Patriots twice in the Superbowl.
Below is an example of how it should be conducted:
- Stand up
- Keep it short
- Start on time
- Stick to an agenda
- Share victories
- Shared priorities
- Always compliment one person in the shift starter from yesterday
“Coming together is a beginning.
Keep them together is progress
working together is success” Henry Ford
Updates from yesterday and today – relevant to the group – Share anything important about opportunities to achieve targets.
Top Tasks that need to be done for the day
KPI’s – (Goals Board) (yesterday’s sales, year over year, sales expected for today)
Stucks or Needs
Where are you stuck – specifically, what is it that you need to improve your results?
Someone needs to commit to helping remove any obstacles! (more product knowledge, role-playing to cross-sell, etc…)
Top Priority for the Day
After reviewing your task list and pick the ‘one’ most important thing that you must get done that is impactful to the outcome you expect for your dispensary.
Suggestions to cover:
- Best Sellers
- Promotions of the day
- Upcoming events
- Items on sale
- Impulse sales at the register
- Train on product knowledge every day.
Sometimes your customers know more about your products than your budtenders do.
Every day have a product of the day rotate that product around the store.
What makes huddles or shift starters successful:
- You have active listening, communication, and multiple people participating.
- Valid and important questions inform people who may not feel comfortable asking particular questions.
- When your team is informed, they know the goals for the day, decrease emails that you need to send and receive, and it decreases any concerns that might be happening or coming up that affect the objectives you are trying to reach.
Discuss special events, and special promotions review opportunities and performance from the previous day. Discuss today’s focus and set your goals.
Break the shift starter with excitement, like a football huddle.
All staff wants to know, what’s in it for them
- Will they make more commission, more money
- You’re going to have a party,
- Prepare one of the following week’s members to present one of your featured products or best sellers.
Discuss safety items for the month, like social distancing.
Discuss Security concerns due to being a cash-intensive business.
The purpose of a huddle
In the huddle during football games, the Quarterback calls a play that informs all 11 players what their responsibilities are to execute a successful outcome.
Begin shift starters/huddles today and play to win.
May you have excellent dispensary success.
Pre-Shift Meetings Restaurants
The restaurant business literally wants their staff to show some of the food props and items like they would display what they can order obviously they’re not going to serve them that but our kiosk is a digital try offering an inventory of products
Initiating Team Huddles at Dartmouth-Hitchcock https://youtu.be/ykYUGZJP9Wo
Huddles allow us to plan for changes in daily workflow, be proactive, and work together to optimize the care experience for patients, families, and staff. They provide a communication platform so initiatives and safety concerns can be relayed to the people who do the work every day. At Dartmouth-Hitchcock, huddles support our journey to becoming a high-reliability organization which is a priority in our culture of quality and safety. This video was developed as a training tool for department leaders and their staff to support them as they begin initiating huddles in their respective areas.